Pursuing God's Will Together
A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups
Logos Book of the Year
Meetings can sap our energy, rupture community and thoroughly demoralize us. They can go on forever with no resolution. Or they can rush along without consensus just to "get through the agenda." What if there was another way?
Church boards and other Christian leadership teams have long relied on models adapted from the business world. Ruth Haley Barton, president of the Transforming Center, helps teams transition to a much more suitable model--the spiritual community that discerns God's will together.
In these pages you will discover personal and group practices that will lead you into a new way of experiencing community and listening to God together.
Table of Contents:
Introduction: The Heart of Spiritual Leadership
Part One: Becoming a Community for Discernment
1. Learning to See
2. Beginning with Spiritual Transformation
3. Leaders Who Are Discerning
4. Community at the Leadership Level
5. Values that Undergird Community
6. Practices for Opening to God Together
7. Practices for Listening to Each Other
8. A Covenant That Protects Community
Part Two: Practicing Discernment Together
9. Get Ready: Preparing for the Discernment Process
10. Get Set: From Decision Making to Discernment
11. Go! Discerning and Doing God's Will Together
12. But Does It Work?
Appendix 1: Leader's Guide
Appendix 2: A Biblical Perspective on Spiritual Transformation
Author: Ruth Haley Barton
Hardcover: 256 pages
Dimensions/Weight: 14 x 21 x 2.8 cm / 490g
Publisher/Date: IVP / 2012